Search This Blog

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Weekend Notes: Three-Word Challenge

This is a game inspired by terribleminds.com, who does a lot of weekly challenges and some involving random words. 
Basically, how you do it is, using a Random Number Generator, some dice, random scrawls on pieces of paper, or whatever you like, you pick one word from each list. Then, you write a 800 word story. You can use the words in whatever order you wish, and you can use them however you want to. Just use them. 

I'm also playing around with the required words, let me know what you think is a good length.

Post it in the comments, or somewhere else and link to it in the comments. Due by next Sunday, July 13th 2014 :)


This is the start of a weekly writing promt/game posts I'm doing. Enjoy! I cannot wait to see what you guys come up with -- Dita

List One
  1. desert
  2. target
  3. headline
  4. train
  5. warship
  6. christmas
  7. old man
  8. octopus
  9. minute
  10. diving board

List Two
  1. lollipop
  2. bra
  3. river
  4. cashier
  5. caterpillar
  6. ketchup
  7. blanket
  8. anchor
  9. mill
  10. van

List Three
  1. slide
  2. gloves
  3. eating
  4. poem
  5. telescope
  6. shop
  7. stardom
  8. powder
  9. necklace
  10. purse


1 comment:

  1. "I think it all started back when my father died," Sao said thoughtfully as she scratched her chin in a musing fashion common to the bards and storytellers as depicted on fantasy tv shows.
    "Oh please, not another one of your crazy 'my-trauma-started-here' stories," Toshio groaned, having already been audience to Sao's many cockamamie tales fraught with flaws and clashing elements similar to that of Fox News.
    "This one's different. This one's true. It all started when my father and I were vacationing on his warship-
    "How did your father, whom you have previously described as destitute, afford a warship of all things?"
    "I didn't say that be acquired it in a legal manner. How dare you assume such things of my wonderful father!" Sao said. "Now where was I? Oh yes, so we were both calmly eating lollipops on the deck when a gale suddenly tore one of my gloves off and graciously dropped it in the ocean. Now these were my favorite pair of gloves, a memento of my deceased mother-
    "You said earlier that your mother was still alive and worked in a factory."
    "How dare you say such things of my wonderful mother! She was a good person!" Sao said, crying melodramatically like a typical soap opera character who had never stepped foot in an acting school.
    Toshio merely sighed as Sao wiped away her crocodile tears with a flourish of her hand as she tried to regain her composure and cease her atrocious performance.
    "Anyway, so my father dove in to retrieve my glove, when a storm suddenly came. To make matters worse, he was suddenly surrounded by hundreds of sharks, the kind that are immune to storms-
    "Hang on, I thought that sharks, and other marine life for that matter, could usually sense storms and would dive deep underwater to avoid it."
    "Who am I to question the habits of sharks? Besides, they were part lead, so the storm couldn't blow them away or bother them."
    "How does that coexist with the rest of their biology and how do they remain hydrodynamic in that case?" Toshio asked.
    "Now you're just throwing around big words to try to seem smart. It's not going to work, Toshio," Sao laughed, patting his head condescendingly. "Besides, you haven't heard the worst part with the giant krakens with laser-beam eyes."
    Toshio pushed her hand away in frustration. "Enough! I've had enough of your crazy stories. If you don't want to tell me the truth, I may as well just go."
    "Toshio, wait!" Sao said, grabbing his arm to prevent him from leaving. "I'm sorry. I promise to tell you the truth this time."
    "Promise?"
    "Promise."
    "Very well," Toshio sighed.
    "Okay, so it started during our trip to the Arctic when we were jumped by Nazi polar bears and ninja penguins with tanks-
    "That's it!" Toshio yelled out in frustration, storming away before Sao could stop him.
    Sao sighed and scratched her head. "What was I thinking, that story was way too farfetched to be believable. Everyone knows that penguins don't live in the Arctic."

    There's my story. It's a bit short, but I hope that's okay. Can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with!

    ReplyDelete